Epic Elk Venison and Onion Burger Recipe
With a mild essence of grated onion, chopped parsley, minced garlic and a few other seasonings, this elk venison recipe results in delicious burgers that are juicer than the usual grilled hamburger
The secret to this flavor-packed elk venison burger recipe is cooking them on an outdoor flat-top grill (some might call it a griddle). They cook more evenly and retain more moisture because the entire burger is seared slightly, which holds in the moisture. On a traditional grill, only the area that touches the grill is seared. Plus, you can cook the onions and toast the buns on the same flat-top grill.
Yield: 6 elk venison burgers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 ½ pounds ground elk venison
- 1 cup grated onion
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for buns
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 6 slices Havarti cheese
- 6 slices mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 6 sesame seed buns, split
- In a large bowl, mix together ground elk venison, grated onion, minced garlic, parsley, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Shape into six 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a flat top grill over medium heat and brush with oil. Cook the burgers, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 12-14 minutes total for medium-rare or until desired doneness. During the last few minutes of cooking, top each elk venison burger with a slice of Havarti and cheddar cheese. Remove when cheese is melted and set aside.
- While the burgers are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on the flat top grill and cook the onions, stirring occasionally until soft and golden.
- Brush the cut sides of the buns with melted butter and place cut-side down until warmed and golden.
- Put baby arugula and a slice of tomato on the bottom portion of buns and top each with an elk venison burger, grilled onions and bun tops.
For more elk venison recipes, visit NevadaFoodies.com.